Thursday, April 7, 2011

Meet the Interns: Sophie Proebsting and Evan Dix

Evan and Sophie joined the Rebuilding Together Seattle staff in mid February and they have been instrumental in planning for Spring Rebuilding Day 2011!  Stop by anytime and say "hi!" to our new interns!

Sophie Proebsting




 I graduated from the University of Washington last June, with majors in Women Studies and French. As an undergraduate, I was lucky enough to take two study abroad trips with UW. My most recent was a semester in Nantes, France. The first was less of an “abroad” trip, more “across country”. I travelled to Mississippi with a group of 15 UW students and an engineering professor to rebuild 3 homes that had been destroyed in Hurricane Katrina. We spent a month building houses with two Americorps groups during the day, and spent our nights in a 5 credit engineering based course. It was this trip that sparked my interest in housing and home repair!

 1. What interested you in the Internship opportunity at RTS?

During my job search, I was really focusing on finding a position with a non-profit. When I discovered the RTS opportunity, I had to jump on it because not only is it a non-profit, but the mission of RTS is something that I believe in and have been involved in before.

2. Why do you believe in RTS and/or our mission?

 I have come to realize what few resources there are for low-income homeowners to live in warmth, safety, and security, and it is so inspiring to see thousands of volunteers take their time to be a resource and to improve the homes and lives of people in their community.

3. What do you like most about working at RTS?

The best part about working at RTS so far has been talking to the homeowners. It’s a great to have a personal connection to the people we are helping or are hoping to help. Every homeowner I have spoken to has been so kind and have shared such compelling stories about their lives with me. I am really looking forward to the upcoming Spring Rebuilding day so I can meet some of our homeowners in person.

4. What are you looking forward to most during your Internship with RTS?

 Spring Rebuilding Day, of course! So much of our work in the office has been focused toward organizing for April 30th, so I can’t wait to see how it all comes together. I’m also looking forward to running around that day and doing some manual labor!

 5. Outside of RTS, what are your passions? What are your favorite pastimes for fun?

 Last year I started to get into running and hiking. Though both those activities have been more on the back-burner due to the weather, I plan to run a 5k on May 1st. It will be a busy weekend!

6. What would be your dream job?

My dream job will involve working in public service or social justice. I am hoping to get a master’s in public affairs in the next few years in order to continue a career in this area.




 Evan Dix



I attended Western Washington University and majored in Communication and minored in Political Science. I had a large focus on public speaking and even became an Instructional Assistant where I was responsible for teaching a group of students how to improve their public speaking ability. I not only improved my own public speaking skills but also my ability to teach and instruct others.


1. What interested you in the Internship opportunity at RTS?

The internship interested me because I am able to help people in need and support a great cause while at the same time gain valuable work experience. The more I learned about RTS, the more I knew it was the right place for me.


2. Why do you believe in RTS and/or our mission?


I believe in RTS and its mission because it is so great to help people feel warm, safe and proud of their home. In one day we can make positive differences that can last a lifetime for many families.

3. What do you like most about working at RTS?

What I like most is working together with great people in the office to collaborate on projects all in the effort to help those in need. I really enjoy my coworkers and supervisors and I love the RTS office dogs Lucy and Tonka!


4. What are you looking forward to most during your Internship with RTS?

I am looking forward to the Spring Rebuilding Day where I can see all of the hard work that everyone has done being put into action as well as take part in the actual rebuilding process and see the results!


5. Outside of RTS, what are your passions? What are your favorite pastimes for fun?

I enjoy skiing, biking and playing guitar. I like to get outside and have a good time, traveling is great too!

 
6. What would be your dream job?

My dream job would be to work in Public Relations or Marketing for a company because I enjoy public speaking, working with people, and working together as part of a team.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis