Monday, November 11, 2013

Volunteers of the Month: The RTS Intern Team!


Rebuilding Together Seattle is so happy to recognize our amazing intern team as our Volunteers of the Month for October. Each one of them worked tirelessly in the weeks and months leading up to the 4th Annual Beer & Wine Tasting fundraiser to help make sure it was a smashing success. The staff was so proud of their dedication and positive "roll up your sleeves" attitude that we wanted to give them extra-special recognition as our Volunteers of the Month.

Jinhee, Jaclyn, and Stephanie each have their own unique perspective on Rebuilding Together Seattle so let's hear from each of them what this honor means.

How did you first get involved with Rebuilding Together Seattle?
Stephanie
I first heard about Rebuilding Together Seattle from my friend, Kristen Kirst (Senior Director of Advancement Communications and Marketing at Seattle University), who had wonderful things to say about Margie Thirlby, the Executive Director of RTS. I was meeting with Kristen because I wanted to get into the non-profit sector in Seattle, and she suggested I speak with Margie about a position here. Next, I went online and signed up to participate in the Spring Rebuilding Day in April.
Jinhee
I found out about RTS through a friend of mine who also had an internship at RTS. The more I listened to what she had to say about how wonderful the organization is and what it does for the community, the more I wanted to be a part of it. Additionally, at this time of economic hardship which has had a great impact on my friends, I thought having an organization such as RTS around our region was such a relief and I applied for the internship program to explore more about the organization.

Jaclyn
I first heard about Rebuilding Together Seattle through my brother who is friends with Margie’s brother. After hearing about RTS and its programs and also talking with Margie, I became really interested in getting involved. When I heard about the internship program, I was immediately drawn to the position and thought that it would be a great way to gain some valuable experience while working towards a really important cause.


What have you enjoyed most in your time with RTS?
Stephanie
My biggest highlights at RTS have been conducting the homeowner surveys from our Spring Rebuilding Day and seeing the Beer & Wine Tasting come together in October. I was so touched when speaking with the homeowners about the powerful impact of our services not just on their homes, but in their lives. The Beer & Wine Tasting event was such a blast, and I really enjoyed putting faces to names and seeing the items, which I helped to secure, bring in funding for our future projects. I have loved working with the whole RTS team, not just the staff, but all the volunteers and supporters as well.

Jinhee
The people I work with and the positive outcomes RTS brings in to the community make my time here at RTS worthwhile to be committed to. The passion and pride I feel from the RTS staff for what they do to assist the homeowners influence me in such a positive way. It is also great to see the results of the effort the staff, sponsors, volunteers and homeowners put into the programs we provide. The smiles on the homeowners’ faces, their thank you letters as well as their now safer, warmer and more independent houses remind me about how thankful I am to work for RTS.
 
Jaclyn
Helping to prepare for the Beer and Wine Tasting auction was really exciting. I enjoyed helping organize such a big event, and I was able to learn a lot about putting together a fundraising event in the process. It was amazing seeing the whole process from start to finish, especially since it turned out to be such a success.


What about the RTS mission are you most drawn to?
Stephanie   
I feel that our most powerful impact on our clients is our ability to restore their sense of control in their own lives and their faith in the humanity and generosity of others. It is an amazing thing to be a part of!

Jinhee
The mission of RTS is to let everyone live in warmth, safety, and independence and I completely agree with that statement. Building a broader social safety net and providing a hand when someone is in a difficult situation is one of the crucial factors for all of us to live a happy, satisfied life. Thus, the mission of RTS is not only beneficial for those in need but it is also beneficial for all of us to create a stronger, prosperous community.

Jaclyn      
I think it is so important that every person has the opportunity to feel safe in their home. Many people deal with daily struggles that they have no control over, and helping someone feel warm and safe in their own home is something that can be controlled. RTS works to help struggling homeowners by contributing a tangible improvement to their home and their life.


What are your goals and aspirations after you are done with your time at RTS?
Stephanie
I am currently pursuing opportunities in non-profit development and outreach. I hope to secure a position that focuses on relationship building and allows me to improve the lives of others. 

Jinhee
I would like to continuously get involved with this wonderful organization as a volunteer after I am finished with my time at RTS. The internship program here at RTS has been an eye-opening experience which has taught me that there are still so many people in our region, living under inferior conditions and, that there are also so many warm hearted people willing to help those in need.  I would like to put in my time and effort to create a better environment for everyone and I also believe learning practical skills regarding house repair will be a great asset for me personally!

Jaclyn
I hope to continue in the nonprofit sector, whether in a development role or something else, I am not sure! I will take with me a great deal of knowledge acquired at RTS and hope to continue to be involved in any way in the future.


Rebuilding Together Seattle sends a big thank you to Stephanie, Jinhee, and Jaclyn for all of their hard work and dedication over the past few months! We couldn't accomplish our mission without passionate volunteers like these three. To find out more about how you can get involved with Rebuilding Together Seattle, email Paige Schultz at pschultz@rtseattle.org or call our office at 206-682-1231.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis