Monday, March 10, 2014

Volunteers of the Month: Tim MacBean and Andrew Spottswood

Tim, far left, and Andrew, 3rd from the right.

Rebuilding Together Seattle is happy to recognize Tim MacBean and Andrew Spottswood as our Volunteers of the Month for February! Tim and Andrew led a small team of volunteers to help an elderly woman in living alone in the Interbay neighborhood. The volunteers installed a small ramp at the front door, changed light bulbs and installed smoke detectors throughout the home, painted a bedroom and many other small fixes throughout the home. This was the first time Andrew or Tim has led a project for Rebuilding Together Seattle and we were blown away by their leadership and dedication! Below, you can read what  Tim and Andrew had to say about their experience volunteering with Rebuilding Together Seattle.


How did you first get involved with Rebuilding Together Seattle?

TM: I met another RTS volunteer, Nathan Wright, through our mutual friend Andrew Spottswood, who I partnered with on our February event. I had been trying to find a volunteer opportunity that I could invite my friends and co-workers to that would be fun and rewarding and Nathan thought RTS would be a good fit – and it was! Margie Thirlby graciously came out to Microsoft during the annual Giving Campaign and did a great presentation for our team which got people excited about signing up.

AS: Nathan Wright has done several projects with RTS and introduced myself and Tim to his contacts. We were looking for a way to connect both goals for our church to get out and serve those in our community while bonding with our Co workers for a good cause.


What do you enjoy most about volunteering with RTS?

TM: One of the principles I try to stick to when giving is making sure that I’m not just giving a handout, or where I can’t directly see where my contribution is going. With RTS I could directly see the impact of the money and volunteer effort, plus you get to see the direct impact on the homeowner immediately. It’s pretty rare for all of those aspects to come together and it makes volunteering even more rewarding. All of the people I have worked with at RTS have been exceptional and professional which really makes it easy to plan an event.

AS: The needs are real and we made a true quality of life impact on Patricia. Also bonding with coworkers


What about the RTS mission are you most drawn to?

TM: was just really drawn to the vision of providing a safe and healthy home. When you find a group of passionate people with the right skills it really is so easy to make a major positive change in someone’s life with not that much money or effort. As I mentioned before being able to see it come together along with the end result is just the icing on the cake.

AS: RTS obviously spends a lot of time vetting out the most need and makes it easy for a team that is motivated to make significant change in that persons life.


What are you doing when you aren’t volunteering with Rebuilding Together Seattle?

TM: My job at Microsoft keeps me very busy of course so it is a challenge to balance work with doing what I really enjoy, which is spending time with my wife and 2 children. As a family we like to spend time together outside when we can – riding bikes, hiking, hanging out near the water…. I’m also an avid runner and I really enjoy racing so I try to run anywhere from 5K to marathon several times a year. I also serve regularly at my church in an administrative capacity, in the children’s ministry, and with other charities.

AS: I am a consultant for an IT firm that specializes in health care and CPA firms. I am a husband, dad of 3 (almost 4) and leader in my church, LifePoint Lynnwood.


Tim hard at work!

 
Andrew (left) and volunteers showing their RTS spirit!




Thank you, Tim and Andrew, for your hard work supporting the Rebuilding Together Seattle mission. You are both very special volunteers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis