Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Volunteer of the Month: Ed McKenna

Ed, third from the left, reading with his grandkids and his son
Rebuilding Together Seattle is excited to recognize our awesome Volunteer of the Month for July, Ed McKenna! Ed has been a supporter of RTS for almost 15 years, and has been a dedicated Safe at Home volunteer. We asked Ed what it means to him to be July's Volunteer of the Month, and here are his responses!

1. How did you first get involved with Rebuilding Together Seattle?

I started about 14 years ago. Wanting to give back to my community, I thought I would lend my general skills and enthusiasm to help someone who could truly use it. Little did I know that I would soon be tasked as a project manager, overseeing a crew to renovate a deserving person’s home. It was such an uplifting experience for the homeowner, myself and the entire crew. That event had me hooked and I have been a supporter ever since.

2. What do you enjoy most about volunteering with RTS?

I like the people I meet, the support I get from RTS and the thought that so many others are helping our community. Most of all however, I like to see the face of the person I’m helping when they say “Thank you”. Every homeowner I have worked with has been gracious, deserving and truly grateful.

3. What about the RTS mission are you most drawn to?

Warmth, safety and independence are basic human needs that no one should suffer without. From my involvement, I know that RTS helps those who are vulnerable and in need and it makes me feel good to help with that mission.

4. What are you doing when you aren't volunteering with Rebuilding Together Seattle?

I am a full-time judge in Seattle, have a beautiful wife and have 4 grandchildren. Sometimes it’s hard to find time to volunteer when needed but I always think of those less fortunate. However, I seem to find the time to volunteer and after each project, I remember why I first volunteer with RTS.

Thank you, Ed, for your dedication to our mission of helping low-income home owners live in warmth, safety, and independence! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis