Monday, July 23, 2012

Introducing Brittany Barcroft! (RTS Program & Events Coordinator)

RTS is excited to officially introduce Brittany (Britt) Barcroft (pictured above, left) to the RTS community!  Britt joined our organization as a Special Projects Intern in April 2012, just in time for Spring Rebuilding Day 2012.  Britt was eager to support RTS, sharing her (previous) experience in the affordable housing sector and a true passion for the nonprofit industry.  

On July 9th, Britt was hired as the Program and Events Coordinator at RTS to support major program and fundraising events, including the RTS Mariners Night (July 26th), the South Beacon Hill Revitalization Event (August 28-29), and the RTS Beer and Wine Tasting Fundraiser (September 28th).  RTS is thrilled to have Britt's enthusiasm, passion, and organization at our office!

 Britt (top, center/left) with her friends on her wedding day!

LET'S HEAR FROM BRITT!

1. Where did you go to school? What did you major in? What are some of your hopes for future career aspirations?
I'm a proud graduate of Michigan State University (go green!), where I graduated last Spring with majors in both Psychology and Community Relations, and a minor in Religious Studies.  I'm interested in both the management side of non-profits and the direct services side, so I'm currently trying to gain experience in both worlds by working at RTS and as a shelter counselor at ROOTS Young Adult Shelter.  I've set my sights on completing a Masters in Community Counseling with a non-profit management certificate in the next five years.  My goal is to build a well rounded set of skills that I can apply in creative ways to address poverty (in particular: inter generational poverty, homelessness/affordable housing, and at-risk youth).  I don't know exactly where I want to end up, but I want to make sure that I'm fully prepared to jump in with both feet when I find something exciting! 

2. Why do you believe in the mission of Rebuilding Together Seattle?
When a person is dealing with lack of access to basic resources, it is incredibly difficult to find the time to work on other important factors in their life such as physical/mental/emotional/spiritual health. Helping someone to maintain a safe living environment provides a solid foundation that will give them the freedom to truly thrive. You can watch this transformation happen while the volunteers are working: the homeowner starts standing up straighter, speaking with more confidence, and has a twinkle in their eye. Perhaps even more importantly, the volunteers who complete these repairs are living proof to the homeowners that people care about them, and some of the most incredible benefits of RTS come simply through flourishing relationships. I truly believe that RTS has the power to transform lives and empower our community.

3. What are you excited about the most in regard to your internship position with RTS?
Do I have to pick just one thing? The staff, board, and volunteers at RTS have created such an upbeat and loving environment, so I can’t think of a better place to gain job experience. I love being greeted by hyper puppies and friendly co-workers every morning! I’m excited to be a part of the chaos, creativity, and hard work that goes into providing such an important service to Seattle residents. Furthermore, in college I worked for Appalachia Service Project, a non-profit emergency home repair ministry operating in rural coal-mining regions such as Eastern Kentucky and West Virginia. I’ve always found this type of work to be magical; it is unbelievable how big of an impact you can make by doing such simple things. I’m really excited to be a part of the magic once again!

4. Tell us a bit about yourself – what are some of your interests outside of work?
I love music, and although I'm rusty on several of my instruments at the moment I can still play the piano and guitar decently well. I also love to sing…in choir or in musical theatre, whatever I can get my hands on! I’m a pretty big nerd, so although I do enjoy reading I often choose books on nutritional theory, psychology, or other non-fiction. My favorite way to spend a Friday night would probably be playing board games with friends and relaxing, or going to the movies. I also enjoy traveling, yoga, and long distance running. It's been on my bucket list for a while to run a marathon, so I'm hoping to do it in the next year!

 THANK YOU, BRITT, FOR ALL YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS TO RTS!

1 comment:

  1. She's really beautiful, :) she's not only special for helping and contributing to RTS, she is also blessed with such a great heart. :)
    _______________
    Ashley | Olympic 2012 Games

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis