Rebuilding Together, Sears Near $16 Million Raised to Support Heroes at Home
Sears and Rebuilding Together reach milestones throughout 2011, ending the year with donation of Mini Cooper as latest support for Rebuilding Together
WASHINGTON, DC - December 14, 2011 - Rebuilding Together and Sears have raised nearly $16 million to help veteran homeowners and families in-need via a joint effort under Sears' Heroes at Home program that assists military families and veterans across the nation by making necessary repairs, improvements and modifications to their homes.
The Heroes at Home program has repaired veterans' homes and veteran centers across the country for more than five years. In October, Heroes at Home celebrated the 1,000th Veterans Rebuild, marking the milestone with the support of First Lady Michelle Obama, Dr. Jill Biden and their initiative "Joining Forces." This organizational milestone brought national attention to the plight of the nation's veterans, and the organizations' dedication to serving those who have served.
For the past several years, Sears customers have donated in stores and online to Rebuilding Together through the Heroes at Home Donation Drives. Sears has led many additional fundraising efforts to support Rebuilding Together's veteran housing projects. As a result of the collaborative campaigns, Sears raised more than $3.3 million in 2011.
"Rebuilding Together's successful collaboration with Sears success is evidenced through our recent milestones, and now we are completing the year with a Mini Cooper auction, the proceeds of which will support Heroes at Home," said Gary A. Officer, president and CEO of Rebuilding Together. "We look forward to developing new ways in which we can continue to support military families in need."
Rebuilding Together and Sears' additional collaborations in 2011 include:
- Sears and Rebuilding Together worked with NextGen, which donated a new modular home to a disabled veteran, helping to meet his critical, domestic needs
- Sears' 4th Annual Heroes at Home Donation Drive, giving Americans the option to make a donation to Rebuilding Together to support the Heroes at Home program, in any Sears store nationwide or online via a link at Sears.com/heroesathome
- Sears launched the national "Portraits of Heroes" song contest with country music singer and U.S. Marine Corps veteran Josh Gracin; the resulting song, "Can't Say Goodbye," is now available on iTunes, with all proceeds benefiting Rebuilding Together
- "Operation Rebuild for Heroes at Home," a social media contest that encouraged communities to help servicemen and women in need. Based on the results of Facebook fan voting, Sears and Rebuilding Together awarded $250,000 in grants to Rebuilding Together affiliates to renovate the homes of military families
- Sears donated a Mini Cooper to Rebuilding Together, to be auctioned off during the Holiday Season and will support Rebuilding Together's mission to provide safe and healthy housing for low-income families and homeowners. Place your bid now at http://bit.ly/tst4qx.
To find out more about and how to support Rebuilding Together's mission to provide safe and healthy housing for low-income Americans and families, visit www.RebuildingTogether.org.
About Rebuilding Together Rebuilding Together is the nation's leading nonprofit organization working to preserve affordable homeownership and revitalize neighborhoods by providing extensive rehabilitation and modification services to those in need at no cost to those served. With the help of everyday citizen volunteers, skilled tradespeople, the support of local business and major corporate partners, Rebuilding Together affiliates in America's largest cities and smallest towns make life considerably better for thousands of low-income homeowners and the communities in which they live by completing 10,000 projects per year. Rebuilding Together has programs dedicated to energy efficiency, veterans' housing, aging in place and Gulf Coast reconstruction. For more information, visit www.RebuildingTogether.org. You can also follow Rebuilding Together on Twitter @rebldgtogthr or become a fan on Facebook at Facebook.com/RebuildingTogether.
About Sears Holdings Corporation Sears Holdings Corporation is the nation's fourth largest broadline retailer with over 4,000 full-line and specialty retail stores in the United States and Canada. Sears Holdings is the leading home appliance retailer as well as a leader in tools, lawn and garden, consumer electronics and automotive repair and maintenance. Sears Holdings is the 2011 ENERGY STAR® Retail Partner of the Year. Key proprietary brands include Kenmore, Craftsman and DieHard, and a broad apparel offering, including such well-known labels as Lands'' End, Jaclyn Smith and Joe Boxer, as well as the Apostrophe and Covington brands. It also has the Country Living collection, which is offered by Sears and Kmart. We are the nation's largest provider of home services, with more than 11 million service calls made annually. Sears Holdings Corporation operates through its subsidiaries, including Sears, Roebuck and Co. and Kmart Corporation. For more information, visit Sears Holdings' website at www.searsholdings.com. | Twitter: @searsholdings | Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SHCCareers