Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Volunteer of the Month: Melanie Estrada

Melanie Estrada, Marketing Committee


"Melanie has been an incredible asset to the RTS Marketing Committee, especially given her background in graphic design! Most recently, Melanie has taken the lead on designing the new outreach flyer for homeowner clients. It has been a collaborative effort between the various committee members but Melanie has been working hard to update the flyer with everyone's feedback over the past month.  She has given hours of her time outside of our meetings to put this flyer together. We know we can count on Melanie to do a fantastic job and most importantly, she does it with a great attitude along the way!"
-Claire Oatey, Program Associate


Let's hear from Melanie!

1. How did you get involved with RTS?

Recently, when I started a new job as a marketing assistant, I was receiving emails sent to the person I replaced. That person must have volunteered her marketing skills to RTS and was on their e-mail list. The email from Claire said the marketing committee was starting and asked if she wanted to continue volunteering. I know that the person before me in this position moved across the country, so I asked if I could be of any help. My background is in graphic design, but I was interested in helping out any way I could. After going to the first meeting and learning about what great things RTS does for the community and people in need, I was really happy that I volunteered!


2. What do you enjoy most about working with our organization?


Not only do I get to help out in RTS’ important work, I also get to meet and work with some awesome people. Connecting with other people who have positive attitudes and are committed to improving our community is very motivating and inspiring.


3. What do other volunteers say about RTS?

I have heard other volunteers talk about what a great organization RTS. The volunteers who I have met seem to have been involved with RTS for a considerable time. Helping people is a very rewarding endeavor, and I can see why volunteers help out on a continuous basis, not just for one project.


4. Why do you want to volunteer your time?

With RTS I get to combine what I love doing – graphic design -- with helping people. It’s great! It feels good to help in any way that I can, and if I get to design and do it in a way that is fun for me and that is the ultimate combination.

I think others volunteer because they too get to use their skills to help the community in a positive way.



5. What about RTS' mission are you most drawn to?


I am drawn to helping people live in warmth, safety and independence. That is crucial to living happy, productive lives. I believe deeply in helping to build a strong, prosperous community.


THANK YOU, MELANIE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis